Oct 5, 2008

CARAMEL APPLES, YUM!


Have you ever seen a caramel apple with no calories? Well I did the other day and being the great copier that I am, I decided that I definitely needed to make some. My nephew Logan helped me and boy did they turn out looking yummy.




Does anyone want the recipe? Well here it is...

INGREDIENTS:

8 good sized faux apples that you find up in the attic in the Christmas boxes and of course they are in the last container you look in.

8 colored pencils or you can use dowels but I always use what I have sitting around.

8 different ribbon colors and patterns or I guess you could use all the same. Sometimes these can be found tied on or wrapped around other projects.

A good old heavy duty glue gun and lots of glue sticks. I tried my glue pot but it didn't work.

A bottle of craft paint that you have in the basement that looks like the color of caramel.

DIRECTIONS:

Wrap the pencils with the ribbon gluing as you go so it doesn't slip around.

Poke them into the apples in the top.

Drizzle hot glue around the top very generously so it will run down the sides in globs.

Let it cool




Make sure your glue gun is really warmed up and wait about 10 minutes before doing the next one.

Paint the glue with 3 coats of paint. Spray with clear varnish and glue a bow on.




There you have it. Calorie free caramel apples. Yummy!

13 comments:

Becky said...

Oh janis, you are just too cute! You had me for a minute! haha. :)

Kristi said...

Those caramel apples are awesome- you are so clever! I love the ribbons on the pencils, too! Such a fun fall craft!

Chelsea Van Tol said...

Wow I thought those were real!!

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Now how adorable are these?!?! They look so real, too! I may have to try this!

Big TX Hugs,
Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Ms. Tee said...

This is so cute and your photography is great. :)

Debbie said...

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH so yummy thank you for bringing the apples. we will see you at the Halloween Blog Party. Deb ps I am bookmarking you it is fun to have a new friend here in Utah!

Maryjane-The Beehive Cottage said...

Oh My Goodness Janis! You have been BUSY! Love your pictures and candied apples are my all time favorite! Just ate one yesterday! Thanks for the recipe!!! Better watch out or they will make you Enrichment Leadeer...if you are not already! haha!

Hugs,
Maryjane

Mandi @ Sweetly Home said...

Thank you thank you thank you for posting this tutorial! I have been dying to make my own faux caramel apples since I saw them in an catalog a few months ago. But I was so STUMPED on how to make the caramel. I almost wanted to hit myself in the head when you said to use hot glue. Thank you so much!! I'm off to do this project. You're my hero! -Mandi

Cassie said...

Brilliant! These look so awesome!

Eve said...

So clever.
Here I was, thinking you had found the answer to life with your calorie free sweet...
So cute, so funny!
Neat idea!

Maridith said...

This is the best idea I have seen this fall. I can't wait to try this. Thank you. This is the first time I have visited your blog.

{Pink Igloo Designs} said...

Ummm, do you need an adopted daughter?? (he he) I only HOPE I can be an amazing Grandma like you someday! My 8 year old son was looking at your blog with me, and he asked why his Grandma never did things like this! My poor son is Grandparent deprived... they live in Utah, we live in Alaska!
I love all of your fun and crafty home decor and ideas! You are amazing!
-Erika G.

Anonymous said...

Ummmm, this is a super fabulous idea......thank you for sharing......I have to try this!